Thursday, February 26, 2015

WWD's MAGIC Tradeshow - What is it? & What to Expect


Everyone has heard of fashion week but not many people are as familiar with trade shows. Its basically the business side of brands showing their latest collections to potential buyers. To say that the WWD Tradeshow was huge would be an understatement. It was at 2 different locations (Las Vegas Convention Center & the Mandalay Bay) & had every category from kids, shoes, women to men's contemporary, edgy, & mainstream. I was a bit overwhelmed at first. However, by day 2, I was more comfortable. Here are my tips just in case you'd like to check it out 1 day.

#1 WEAR FLATS!


I can't stress this enough!  It's A LOT of walking. I was warned about this beforehand, but being that I wear heels often I brushed the advice off. I had spare flats in my tote, but if I could do it all over again I would've put together outfits with super cute flats to match.

#2 Do NOT try to see Everything!



There is a total of 10 individual markets within the tradeshow. Looking those up will help you narrow things down a bit. As press, I wanted to see EVERYTHING, but in the end I really wanted to make sure I catered to my audience & what they would like to see. There's a kids market called Playground that I was interested in. However, I wanted to use my time wisely. Kids is not apart of my target audience. So, I decided to skip out on that one. It's a 3 day event so take your time plotting out what markets make the most sense for you.

#3 Respect the Vendors!
JOA Spring/ Fall collection
Being there as press there was so much I wanted to take pictures of for my site. & you can BUT you can't just go pulling out your camera & start snapping away all willy nilly because sometimes the brands may prefer no pictures. Ask if its okay 1st. Most will say yes. If they say no, don't take it personal. Respect that, compliment their line & move on. Trust me you'll get a lot more Yes's than No's so don't worry.

#4 Go to the Seminars

Tyranny Of Style Blogger: Joe Kucharski, Pretty Little Liars Costume Designer: Mandi Line, Scandal Costume Designer: Lyn Paolo, Stylist: Daniel Musto  
There are a lot of seminars that covered great topics about sourcing for your brand, fashion trends, new technology, utilizing social media & so much more. I caught some really good ones, like the panel with Scandal's costume designer Lyn Paolo.  However, there were also some panels that I sadly missed like the fashion show hosted by Elle magazine's editor Joe Zee.

#5 Have Fun!

You're in Vegas for Christ sake! I promise you during the middle of the day at the tradeshow someone came on the PA & shouted its Happy Hour! There's cocktail soiree's, after parties. There is fun to be had! I'll definitely be back for the next one in August.

Xo,
The Closet Whisperer 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...